ogg2mp3?

Tom Fogal tfogal at io.iol.unh.edu
Thu Jul 24 16:53:34 EDT 2003

> > On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 02:11:19PM -0400, Thomas M. Albright wrote:
> > > Is there such an app? I'm going on a road-trip and I have an mp3 player.
> > > Unfortunately, all of my ripped music is in .ogg format. Is there a

good deal :P i do the same thing - its so much easier than swapping cd's in and
out, and d/ld music always has crappy skips/etc

> > > better way than re-ripping everything?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > Buy a neuros?
>
> I need to look into that...
>
> > Real answer:  ogg123 foo.ogg | lame > new.mp3
> > There are undoubtedly some extra switches in there, but I'm not sure
> > what ones you need.

i would think you would want 'oggdec' instead of 'ogg123'.

> But also realize that these are both lossy compression algorithms, and
> as such the mp3's so generated will be of lesser quality than the
> source ogg files.  Maybe you don't care, maybe you do.

my friend did this for the same purpose actually - he has a cd player in his
car that has support for MP3 cds. he converted 256 kbit VBR oggs to i think
192 kbit mp3s. the degradation was noticeable, but still sounded pretty good.

-tom