Filesystem overhead

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Jul 28 18:13:54 EDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, at 2:11pm, jbd at codemeta.com wrote:
> That is most likely the meta data kept by most logging file systems. Or
> its the duplicate superblocks. (You see these when mkfs is run.)

  I would buy that if I was comparing the size of the raw device (partition)
to the available space in an empty filesystem.  But I'm just looking at a
single file here.  And a 1-byte file uses only 4096 bytes, which is what I
would expect on this filesystem (4096 bytes is the EXT3 block size for this
one).

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>