Filesystem overhead

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Wed Jul 30 13:11:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:35:16 -0400
"Andrew W. Gaunt" <quantum at lucent.com> wrote:

> Very cool, that was revealing. Perhaps this discussion
> can evolve into  how  journalling (e.g. ext3, etc.) works
> and why it is good/bad. Anybody?
I would like to see some real metrics on:
ext2
ext3
JFS
XFS
ReiserFS

In the cases of all the journaling file systems, the big gain is when
rebooting after an improper shutdown.

I personally use Reiserfs and have had no problems with it except when I
had a bad memory chip in one of the laptops. I had to do the reiserfsck
from a rescue disk, but it worked fine.

The main tradeoff is run-time performance, but for the most part that is
a good tradeoff unless your system needs all the I/O performance it can
get. In my specific case I have a couple of filesystems I keep unmounted
except when I do nightly backups.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group