I need suggestions as to where to get a replacement laptop keyboard

Bill Freeman f at ke1g.mv.com
Wed Jul 30 21:45:35 EDT 2003

	Yes, as you noticed, I'm looking for the laptop keyboard
replacement, much more specific requirements.  I can certainly plug a
PS/2 keyboard into the jack in the back and get by, but that sort of
defeats the purpose of having a laptop.

	Actually, I intend to try to repair this keyboard, but it's
working well enough that I don't want to mess unless I have a
replacement in hand (or it gets much worse).  I figure that if I get a
used keyboard, there is a chance that it won't last long, so having
this one as a spare, if I can fix it without destroying it, is a good
strategy.

Travis Roy writes:
 > If you're looking for something small check out a Happy Hacker
 > keyboard, they're tiny and they have the control key where the tab key
 > is on most keyboard. Lots of people that do work on sun machines say
 > this is the correct place for a control key.

	Actually, the correct place for the control key is where most
keyboards have the Caps Lock key, right next to the 'A', just like on
a model-33 or model-35 teletype (or a Datapoint 3300, or an ADM-3)
such as were around when my muscle memory was being installed.  (Plain
PC and XT keyboards were like this too.)

	The Caps Lock key, on the other hand, belongs on the back or
bottom of the computer, protected by a steel cover held in place by a
dozen or so screws with an assortment of Robbinson heads and the ones
that they use on restroom fittings so that vandals can't take them
apart (and maybe some epoxy for good measure).

							Bill