resolv.conf?

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Tue Jun 3 16:00:03 EDT 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, at 3:15pm, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
> Am I doing something wrong, or am I misunderstanding the /etc/ resolv.conf
> file?  *Should* this work?

  One thing to be aware of is that "host" (and "nslookup" and "dig" too)
deliberately bypasses the usual gethostby* standard library calls and goes
directly to the DNS resolver library.  That can occasionally introduce
subtle problems.

  So, if you "ping foo", what happens?

  Try "host -v foo" as well.  That might offer clues.

  Are you really looking up "foo", or "foo.bar"?  If your lookup has dots in
it, "host" assumes the name is absolute.  See the "-N" option in the
"host(8) manpage for details.

  We have an almost identical setup here, and it works just fine.  Our
unregistered domain is "inside.ntisys.com".  My resolv.conf looks like:

	search inside.ntisys.com ntisys.com
	nameserver 192.168.10.1

  I can do

	$ host ion
	ion.ntisys.com has address 64.105.111.44

and it works just fine.

  I note that our unregistered domain is a subdomain of a real domain, and
yours is not.  I also note that our unregistered domain is a subdomain of
the other domain in my seach path, and yours is not.  Those are the only
differences I can think of.

  Unless your software is different from my software:

	Red Hat Linux 7.3
	BIND 9.2.1 (Red Hat package 9.2.1-1.7x.2)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>