Dynamic apache config

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Tue Jun 3 16:16:03 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 15:48, brian wrote:
> Dynamically like how/when?  How does the data get in the database?
>
> It's fairly easy to have a perl script read a MySQL database and then
> output a properly delimited apache .conf file with the apppropriate
> virtual server tags in it.  Then you'd have to hup the httpd for the
> changes to take effect.
>
> Is that what you're looking for?  Or do you want something more
> "magical"?

I'm looking for a little more magic with a little less regenerating
httpd.conf.  *grin*

What I'm looking for is some kind of module that will let me put
(something like) the following in my httpd.conf:

<DynVirtHosts>
	mysqlhost hostname
	mysqldb dbname
	mysqluser username
	mysqltable tablename
</DynVirtHosts>

Then, the table in the database would have a row (or some such
structure) for the data necessary for each virt host.  This way, all I
need to do to add a vhost would be to add a row in the database.

Am I making sense?

I've found something that seemingly does what I want
(http://www.synthemesc.com/mod_vdbh/) but is only available for Apache
2.0.x ... and I'm running 1.3.x right now.  If this is the only option,
I'll put in the work to migrate to 2.0.x but I'd prefer not to have to.

--
"God help us, we're in the hands of engineers."
 - Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park)

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc