Dvorak Predicts Death of Linux

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Wed Jun 4 10:13:27 EDT 2003

I'll sing along with the chorus of voices saying that Dvorak doesn't
know what he's talking about. About ten years ago, I used to think he
had something valid to say, but over the years, I've come to realize
that he really doesn't have a clue what he's talking about half the time.

As for Linux dying, that's ridiculous, for all the various reasons cited
by others, and besides, if Linux does get hamstrung by some ignorant
judge, there's always BSD which has a very nice legal precedent that
will make pursuing legal action against the BSD crowd a very difficult task.

What's dying is the industrial age. The industrial model of software
production never really worked, and the open model that resembles a
collaborative effort among cottage craftsmen is proving itself to
produce higher value software at a lower cost and thereby undercutting
the industrial producers. They absolutely cannot stand this because they
are adherents of the myth of industry and progress. IBM seems to
actually "get it" and they seem willing to adapt their business to
changing market conditions, something remarkable for a company of their
size and age.

I remember reading a rather telling quote from Darl McBride in a recent
article (a couple weeks old). He basically said that he has to protect
the shareholder value of his company (i.e. the stock price), and in
order to do so, he has to protect their intellectual property. In other
words, he's saying that he knows that they can't make money doing their
core business of selling software, so he's got to find a way to generate
income, or at the very least to jack the stock price up. Well, he
apparently has succeeded at the latter, though how long will the stock
price remain buoyed by their allegations and lawsuits?

I think it's a mildly clever short term tactic, but he'd better have an
exit strategy that doesn't involve being bought out. That is his
ultimate goal here. It's pretty transparent, really. This is why he's
suing IBM, one of the richest companies on the planet, and threatening
legal action against Novell, another company rich enough to buy SCO
outright.

I read the other day that Steve Ballmer sold about $102 million worth of
his stock. (He still has about $10 billion in stock, don't worry he's
not going broke any time soon. ;-) I know what I would do if I had that
kind of dough: I'd buy SCO and release all of their "intellectual
property" into the public domain. SCO probaly doesn't think $10 billion
is enough to buy the company, but just wait 6 months to a year, their
stock price will be back down to $.60.