Bandwidth Bog down ?

Tilly, Lawrence Lawrence.Tilly at LibertyMutual.com
Fri Jun 6 11:35:38 EDT 2003

What about using the Router's DMZ port?  If it's the same Linksys I just picked up last week then one port (#4?) can be set to DMZ and have direct exposure to your cable / DSL service. Since you do not gain any of the protection of the Linksys firewall, perhaps it is a faster connection.  If the only thing you run on that port is a hardened web server (including local software firewall, etc) and provide no other direct access to your network, then the risk should be acceptable and the performance may increase.

I would like to ask, however, if you were running the Apache server *BEFORE* you got the router and if so how it performed. I am planning on adding a local web server to my network in the near future as well and was talking to a friend about this that's already doing it. He pointed out that due to the fact that outbound cable connections are a lot slower than incoming.  His personal web server responsiveness was acceptable for personal use, but far from what you get browsing "real" sites. Of course, DSL may be a whole different animal for serving outgoing requests.

-Lawrence

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Mullen [mailto:moon at lunarhub.com]
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 3:50 AM
To: GNHLUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Bandwidth Bog down ?

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, jim wrote:

> Hi all!
>     Before I ask my question, Im very new to Linux (6 months).  Im
> running MDK 9.1, and through brute force and ignorance have managed to
> get an Apache server up and running, Using PostNUke.  I'm connecting
> with a Verizon DSL
> (1.5/128K) going into a Linksys router.  For some reason the speed just bogs
> down when accessing my site.  It will take several minutes just to load some
> icon graphics.  It has done this before, and it seemed that cycling the
> power on the router fixed it.  Although now it doesn't seem to fix it
> anymore.  Any ideas on where I should start to troubleshoot this? I've done
> the google searches and can't seem to find anything.  Your help is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> The sites addy is http://www.edensplace.com:1515  (Verizon blocks port
> 80)

You can always just ditch the router and hook the Mandrake box up to the
DSL modem directly; just throw another NIC in there (Realtek-based ones
can be had for about $10), and hook the router to that to serve any other
machines you may have. You can set up the connection, the sharing, and the
firewall pretty easily by using the Mandrake Control Center.

--
Bill Mullen   moon at lunarhub.com   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."  - P.J. O'Rourke _______________________________________________