PDA Suggestions

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Sun Jun 8 18:44:12 EDT 2003

On 8 Jun 2003, at 7:09am, rasharpe at earthlink.net wrote:
> ... how are the Palm Zure 71 or the Palm Tungsten T ? in particular the
> interface to sync with LINUX ?

  Anything based on PalmOS (all the Palm Inc devices, of course, plus
Handspring Visor and Treo units, Sony Clie, and several more smartphones and
other devices) should work very well with Linux.  They all use either RS-232
serial or USB to communicate with the host.  The kernel has had a USB driver
for Palm-ish devices for a few years now.

  As far as user software on Linux goes: The basic software toolset is
"pilot-link", which provides a library and several utilities.
<http://www.pilot-link.org/>.  Most modern Linux distros bundle it.  There
is an assortment of other programs that provide user-friendly front-ends;
including JPilot, KPilot, and GNOME Pilot.  Evolution can also sync with a
Palm.

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, at 4:47pm, rsharpe at amherst1.com wrote:
> I also have been recommended the Zaurus.

  The Zaurus, IMNSHO, is overpriced and clunky for a handheld and
underpowered for a laptop.  Just because it runs Linux doesn't mean it is a
good idea.  I think it exists partly in both worlds and fits well in
neither.  I think the concept is good, it just isn't quite there yet.  Not
everyone agrees with me.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>