Apache2 questions and Hello Again

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Tue Jun 10 10:09:29 EDT 2003

Alexander Gallichon wrote:
> I feel slightly bad about this message because I haven't kept up with
> reading the mailing list and haven't posted in a few months, nor really
> made much effort to attend the meetings, but that aside, here are my
> questions.
>
> PHP, I have Apache2 and php, I can run php files through php and get the
> proper output, but I don't think I have Apache2 configured to properly
> interpret the php before, so I'm curious what I need to change to get
> that to work.

If you compiled PHP as an Apache module, you'll want to add the
following two lines to your httpd.conf:

AddInputFilter PHP .php
AddOutputFilter PHP .php

> Also, I have some directories I wish to display to the public (and those
> that I don't have .htaccess files), but changing permissions on those
> folders doesn't effect it, understandably. There's something like
> autoindex that I need to turn on somewhere.
>
> Any help?

 From the Apache 2 manual
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html):

Automatic index generation is enabled with using Options +Indexes.

It is turnded off by default, but if you turn it on for a directory, say
your document root, it is automatically on for every subdirectory under
that one. You can also turn it on or off on a per-directory basis. See
the Apache 2 documentation for more information.