postgresql

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Tue Jun 10 13:50:31 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 11:58, Erik Price wrote:
> Cole Tuininga wrote:
>
> I don't have any comments except to say thanks for mentioning them Cole,
> because I didn't know about any of these.  So, just out of curiosity,
> which database(s) do you prefer*?

Truth be told, the only other one I have any *real* experience with (ie
more than just install and see if it runs a basic query) is mysql
3.23.x.

> so experimenting with some of Postgres's features has been quite
> a bit of fun,

I completely agree.  The features offered by postgres are great.  I've
been told repeatedly that postgres also handles heavy loads much better
than mysql, but mostly from postgres advocates.  8)  I haven't played
around with heavy load comparisons myself.

> but I've
> also been careful to make sure that the project abstracts this enough to
> make it trivial to use another DB.

This is frequently a good idea anyway, IMHO.

--
"Pay attention son!  You've got the attention span of an art major in a
 computer cluster!"  - Sam Stoddard

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc