OT- Comcast Subscriber Agreement

David Long dave at jumpshift.com
Wed Jun 11 12:35:40 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 06:38, gnhlug-discuss-request at mail.gnhlug.org
wrote:

> > One of the things I read in attbi.ne.techtalk.general
> > is that all a Linux user like me has to do is config
> > different IP addrs for the POP, SMTP and NNTP servers,
> > reportedly these:
> >
> >  send email (SMTP):    smtp.comcast.net
> >  receive email (POP3): pop3.comcast.net
> >  news (NNTP):          news.comcast.giganews.com

I just talked to Comcast phone support and said I was a Linux user and
needed the info (to paraphrase Dr. Evil).  They were quite helpful and
succint.  The information I got for Nashua was:

	outgoing email:	 smtp.comcast.net
	incoming email:	 mail.comcast.net (POP3)

They confirmed nothing else needed changing (didn't ask about news).  My
new email will be my old username in the comcast.net domain.  They said
the existing username would *not* be carried over in all cases.  The
changes are affective 00:00 EDT 7/1/03.

I personally would manually set this stuff even if I were using
windoze.  I don't want to be coerced into checking any boxes on some
online signup thing.  Of course I try to never use my windoze box on the
internet, mostly a matter of principle.  Note their webpages state that
continued use of their service is implicit agreement to their terms and
conditions.

They did not mention issues with email forwarding when not using the
"transition wizard", although I did not specifically ask.

-dl
--
David A. Long
JumpShift, LLC