OT- Comcast Subscriber Agreement

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Jun 16 12:39:52 EDT 2003

Greg Kettmann wrote:

> I kind of liked the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" method, which someone
> mentioned so kind of wish I'd just kept quiet, but I'm sure they're very
> aware of all the routers out there.  I would assume that their all a
> dead givaway based on their MAC addresses.

Most cable firewall routers let you set the external mac.  Set it to be
the same as the PC you signed up with and you never have to tell che
cable company what you did.

With most Linux (& BSD) systems you can set the MAC address that's used.

I signed up with my wife's PC with a 3com card.  My firewall is a Sun
with the same MAC address.

There are ways to detect a NAT'd subnet (discussed on Slashdot awhile
ago).  OpenBSD has already been patched to defeat it for the paranoid
amongst us.