ISP TOS violations

Andrew W. Gaunt quantum at lucent.com
Wed Jun 18 09:17:01 EDT 2003

I've had adelphia "power link" for over a year now and
their attitude seems to be if you're not a problem they'll
happily take your money every month. Why would it be any
different than that? Sure, they have policies that say "no servers"
and or "modem sharing" or whatever, but, if your checks clear
and your not a drain on their expenses then who really cares what
the policies are?  The policies aren't  really all tha consistent anyway.
For example, when I first signed up, the policy stated that only
one computer could be connected to the cable modem yet
on the web page there was a "Howto" like page that explained
how to connect more than one computer using a home NAT box
like the linksys, dlink etc.

I have suffered several major Power Link outages that  have
affected just my area or just my own home. These outages (which
were not my fault)  put a drain on Adelphia's resources
as technicians drove around in trucks,  made repairs the system,
checked my drop's power levels, stood around scratching their
heads, etc. There were no secrets, they were in my home and saw
all the stuff hangiing off the linksys router (A gaggle of PCs, and an
Sun Ultra1). Nobody really cared about what I was doing as long
as I wasn't a  problem. I suppose if I was an  arrogant SOB while
the troubleshooting was going on instead of trying to work with them
then they might have said something, but, I held my tongue and
all was cool.

--
_| _| : : }   quantum at lucent.com - http://www-cde.mv.lucent.com/~quantum
 -(O)-==-o\   andrew_gaunt at hotmail.com - http://www.gaunt.org