Replacing NIS [was:NIS - "Could not read ypservers map" during "make"]

Kevin D. Clark kclark at CetaceanNetworks.com
Wed Jun 18 15:26:00 EDT 2003

Derek Martin <gnhlug at sophic.org> writes:

> As for the practicalities and merits of giving or not giving root
> access, I won't go into that.  Obviously there are times when you
> must, and times when you must not, and shades of gray in between.
> That's an evil that's between you, your users, and your management.
> But I will point out that if you do have to give root access to a
> mahcine, you don't /necessarily/ also have to provide access to
> network resources by that machine... and sudo is your friend.  :)

Just for the record, I still think that certain users (for the most
part, engineers) shouldn't be prevented from having root access on the
machines that they commonly use.

But, like you, I don't want to go into that.

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark / Cetacean Networks / Portsmouth, N.H. (USA)
cetaceannetworks.com!kclark (GnuPG ID: B280F24E)