Amusing "feature" of Earthlink DSL

Ben Boulanger ben at blackavar.com
Thu Jun 19 14:50:05 EDT 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 pll at lanminds.com wrote:
> Your EarthLink DSL service includes:
>
>     [...other stuff deleted...]
>
>     * Dynamic IP addressing for added security
>
> Hmmm, I've never considered DHCP an 'added security' when connecting
> to an ISP.  I suppose it is, but I think for most of us on this list
> anyway, it's more of a hinderance :)

It's security through obscurity... which is no real security benefit at
all...  Some marketing weenie probably asked for a positive spin on it, or
some person who didn't know anything about security thought it up one
night.  It's misinformation like that that drive me nuts.

Ben

--

Thought for the day: Never be afraid to try something new.  Remember that
amateurs built the Ark.  Professionals built the Titanic.