Palm sync with linux

Michael Costolo mcostolo at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 22 19:58:05 EDT 2003

--- Michael Costolo <mcostolo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Cole Tuininga <colet at code-energy.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all - first of all, thanks for the many pieces of info and
> > suggestions wrt picking up a PDA.  I ended up getting a Palm m125 and am
> > pretty happy with it so far.
> >
> > I'm anxious to learn to be able to back it up onto my system which is
> > Linux only.  All the software I've seen seems to think that Palms only
> > sync via serial cable, yet the cradle I got with mine is USB.  Is there
> > a way to do the syncing via USB?  Or do I need to find a USB to serial
> > adapter?
> >
> > Even a pointer to an appropriate web site would be a big help.  Thanks
> > in advance!
> >

> You shouldn't need any special serial adaptor, the USB cradle should work just
> fine.
>  I use the Handspring Visor (which runs the Palm OS) with its USB cradle and
> J-Pilot
> software (http://jpilot.org) with Linux without any problems.  It has been some
> time
> since I set it up, but making sure the 'visor' and 'usb-uhci' modules were loaded
> (modprobe visor, modprobe usb-uhci) was the key to getting the USB sync to work.
> You have to get the timing right - meaning you first press the sync button on the
> cradle then press the sync button on the software - but once you've got that down
> you should have no problems.
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> -Mike-

You will also need to create /dev/pilot and link it to your USB port as in:

# ln -s /dev/pilot /dev/ttyUSBX

where 'ttyUSBX' is your hotsync port.  You should be able to get this info from
dmesg.

Hope this helps...

-Mike-

=====
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"
-George Bernard Shaw