installing subversion

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Jun 30 10:36:29 EDT 2003

In a message dated: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:39:02 EDT
Greg Rundlett said:

>Paul L., or anyone else with knowledge of subversion...
>
>I wanted to install subversion, from scratch, to set up a version control
>system.  So I ended up at this page
>(http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/linux/redhat/RPMS/i386/subversion-latest/redh
>at-8.x/) for the latest RPM's for RedHat 8.

Hmmm, I'm amused by the combined use of the phrase 'from scratch'
and  'rpm' :)

>Not sure what the instructions mean.  Which files do I need?  Which do I
>install first?  Doesn't the order matter?

Well, the directions state:

        Note 1: For now you will need to install the subversion RPMS with the
                rpm "--nodeps" option when the subversion-tools package is
                installed.

        Note 2: For RedHat 9.x make sure you have the backward compatable
                openssl packages installed.

        If all you want to do is run this version of the client then
        just install the httpd-apr, neon, and subversion RPMs.

        To run the Subversion server (via apache), install all the
        RPMs except for the devel RPMs.

So, I take this to mean that:

	1. you'll need to use the --nodeps option for installation
	2. you'll need to install the openssl packages appropriate for
	   use with RH9.

	3. if you only want to install the clients, then just install
           those rpms listed (httpd-apr, neon, and subversion)

        4. if you want to install the server to run under apache, then
           then install all the rpms *excpt* the devel rpms.

So, assuming that you are installing a Subversion server, I would
grab all the packages and install them using the --nodeps option.
Assuming you copied them to /tmp:

     rpm --nodeps -Uvh /tmp/*.rpm

should do it.

> I read the book, but the install section is about one sentence long.
> Maybe I just don't know enough about using rpm,

That's kinda what it sounds like, however, there's no real magic
behind RPM.  It's just like any other package management too.  I
recommend you look at the man page and use rpm --help to get familiar
with it.

> there is a magic incantation to get RPM to install subversion for me.
[rpm command snipped]
>Or
>  apt-get -upgrade subversion

If you've got apt installed, I would query the cache to see if
subversion is one of those packages available. If so, I'd use that.
If not, just grab the RPMs from the site you mentioned.

>It mentions use '--nodeps when the subversion-tools package is installed,
>but doesn't say that I need that, unless I'm misinterpreting.  I want the
>client and the server, but I don't care about getting the absolute latest
>version, so do I just install everything listed, and not worry about using
>subversion to get the 'most recent'

You don't actually need this package, but if you do install it,
you'll need to use --nodeps as per the instructions.  If you're
planning on converting a cvs repo to svn, or using any of the hook
scripts, I'd install it.  If not, you can easily get away without it.

>It says to run the server, install everything but the devel packages.  Does
>that mean I should install the subversion-python RPM--or is that package
>only needed for Python clients?  Does that mean I need all three wxGTK
>RPMs?

You need to then install, as per the directions, everything except
the devel packages.

HTH,
--

Seeya,