For the newbies (book question)

Erik Price eprice at ptc.com
Wed Mar 5 10:44:03 EST 2003

Mark Komarinski wrote:

> Programming Perl (Wall, Christiansen, & Schwartz, O'Reilly)
>   Excellent combination of tutorial and reference.  I don't code
>   in perl as much as I used to, but when I do, this book gets cracked
>   open.

I've been reading Programming Perl on and off in my free time.  I'm
going cover-to-cover trying to pick up little details that I might have
missed in my inital inquiries into Perl.  But I have to say, although
it's comprehensive WRT the language, I really think that the Perl
Cookbook is a better book if you're actually sitting down to do some
Perl coding.  It has great example code to model from, solutions to a
lot of common problems, and most of the stuff in Programming Perl can be
found at perldoc.com.

(Sure would be nice to /own/ the Perl Cookbook.  But I just got the
Python Cookbook so it looks like it'll be a while before I pick that one
up. ;)

Erik