ifconfig nightmare

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Thu Mar 6 20:53:45 EST 2003

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, at 6:43pm, hafnium at metrocast.net wrote:
> I have a machine with some 8 virtual interfaces.

  By "virtual", do you mean "aliased"?  That is, a single Ethernet interface
with multiple IP addresses?  Or do you mean 802.1Q VLAN interfaces?

> I rebooted tonight and now my routing table has some 13 default routes ...

  Distro?  Release?  Kernel version?

  Have you rebooted the system before without seeing this problem, or is
this a new install?  If it has worked in the past, did you change anything
between then and now?

  How did you configure these interfaces in the first place?  Did you edit
config files directly, run some sort of configuration utility, manually
enter ifconfig commands, ...?

  In particular, how did you configure your intended default route in the
first place?  Did you just configure that one route, or did you do what Paul
Lussier does, and configure a default route via every router on your
network, plus a few that don't exist?  ;-)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>