ifconfig nightmare

T. Warfield hafnium at metrocast.net
Fri Mar 7 06:18:56 EST 2003

At 08:53 PM 3/6/03 -0500, bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
>On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, at 6:43pm, hafnium at metrocast.net wrote:
> > I have a machine with some 8 virtual interfaces.
>
>   By "virtual", do you mean "aliased"?  That is, a single Ethernet interface
>with multiple IP addresses?  Or do you mean 802.1Q VLAN interfaces?

I have an eth0, eth0:1, eth0:2 ... eth0:8

> > I rebooted tonight and now my routing table has some 13 default routes ...
>
>   Distro?  Release?  Kernel version?

Redhat 7.3 stock kernel version.

>   Have you rebooted the system before without seeing this problem, or is
>this a new install?  If it has worked in the past, did you change anything
>between then and now?

I've rebooted other machines with the same setup with no issues. This
particular machine hasn't been rebooted since the virtuals were defined.
(60+ days ago)

>   How did you configure these interfaces in the first place?  Did you edit
>config files directly, run some sort of configuration utility, manually
>enter ifconfig commands, ...?

All virtuals have a config file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ifup-eth0:x

When I initally set it up, I manually entered the ifconfig commands to
bring them up.

>   In particular, how did you configure your intended default route in the
>first place?  Did you just configure that one route, or did you do what Paul
>Lussier does, and configure a default route via every router on your
>network, plus a few that don't exist?  ;-)

I defined a default gateway for each (oooh that might be it?) plus, a
S99local script to route del -net <network> and route add -net <network>
dev eth0

T. Warfield
hafnium at metrocast.net
http://www.wackyfarm.com