SCO sues IBM over Linux

Jon Hall maddog at dtype.org
Fri Mar 7 16:51:19 EST 2003

Hi,

You will probably hear about this at least 20 times today, but if you
have not heard of it yet, there is the actual papers filed at
http://www.sco.com/scosource/

In reading these papers I see more holes in their thinking than exists in
Swiss Cheese, not the least of which is the fact that they don't own "Unix"
(which is a trademark owned by X/Open), but what they own is a copyrighted
code stream that originally came from AT&T through Novell.

I see this as a half-hearted attempt to blackmail IBM to settle out of court,
and I think that SCO underestimates IBM in this case, since an out-of-court
settlement would do nothing for the total over-all Linux and Open Source
community, and IBM knows that this would not be a "good thing".

md