International Mail Relay's

Kenneth E. Lussier ken.lussier at zuken.com
Wed Mar 12 11:43:57 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 18:38, Jeff Macdonald wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 18:22, Derek Martin wrote:
>
> > This is a security/spam problem.  This feature tells sendmail to relay
> > mail for any domain for which an MX record points to the host in
> > question.  This means I can use your mail server as a MX host by
> > simply pointing an MX record at it.  It also means that rather than
> > doing a very fast database lookup, on every e-mail received, sendmail
> > must do an expensive DNS query to determine if it is an MX host for a
> > given domain.
> >
> > This feature really should never be used, except internally, and
> > probably not even then.
> >

> Yes, this is also outlined in the docs. Just wanted to let him know of
> another possible option.

Thanks for the info. These will most likely help out in a few of the
sites. Some sites are running Sendmail, so this will do the trick. I am
sure that there are similar mechanisms for Qmail and Courier.

Thanks,
Kenny

"Tact is just *not* saying true stuff" -- Cordelia Chase

Kenneth E. Lussier
Sr. Systems Administrator
Zuken, USA
PGP KeyID CB254DD0