Redhat 9.0 coming out April 7th

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Mar 24 20:43:05 EST 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, at 4:42pm, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
> What their stated policy is and what they actually do are two different
> things :)

  Very true.  However, I feel it worth noting that Red Hat doesn't even have
a "stated" policy on version numbers; I am simply observing what they have
done since they started numbering their releases.

> I seem to remember a 7.0->7.1 bump with an incompatible compiler problem.
> I'd classify that as an incompatible binary ;)

  7.0 came with that infamous, incredibly buggy "GCC 2.96" that was based on
a development snapshot of GCC, and not a real release.  That was a problem.
However, Red Hat, for better or worse, maintained that same compiler tree
all the way through Red Hat 7.3.

  7.1 marked the jump to the 2.4 kernel.  It still ran the same binaries,
other than system utilities specific to 2.4.  Could that be what you are
thinking of?

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>