What Excites You?

Greg Rundlett greg at freephile.com
Mon Mar 24 17:44:44 EST 2003

I love grip.
Insert CD, auto-connect to freedb.org, burn to ogg in two clicks,
dumping files into my netjuke directory.

I love Apache, PHP, and MySQL which allow me to play said music using
any computer connected to the internet.  Which, by the way, lets me
share my music collection with my family that live far away just the way
that telephones let us share communication that previously was
restricted to telegraph or paper.

Oh yeah, I do the same thing with digital photo albums too.  I can just
drag and drop the photos into my gallery to publish them complete with
EXIF data.

I love The Gimp
Photoshop (plus Kai's Power Tools [script-fu], plus all the other
filters and you could want) for free.

I love KRuler and all the other indespensible tools / applications that
I have spent years finding for Windows that are included with Linux and
just keep getting better.

I love OpenOffice, and how it lets me setup ODBC connections to remote
MySQL databases that I can edit via a Microsoft Access-style interface
without the deficiencies that I've experienced with Access.  Then I can
easily save data into spreadsheets that I can share with Excel users
(for the less enlightened), and I can create reports from queries to
easily do analysis, and I can print it to PDF with another click.  Oh,
and this is all included, for free.

I love NOT having to suffer all the pains, privacy invasions, complete
waste of time, money and penalties that I've suffered for years using
proprietary software.  I love not having to fear that some company is
recording everything that I do on my computer as if it were their
computer, or as if they owned me.

--
Greg Rundlett
Sr. Internet Systems Architect