A call for recomendations and helpful some advice

Paul Moore pcmoore at engin.umich.edu
Tue Mar 25 11:05:28 EST 2003

One of my drives decided it had had enough of this cruel world and committed
suicide this past Sunday, taking with it my /var partition.

 Ungh.

The system is up and running again, and most everything is happy, however, I
have lost enough things to make me consider reloading the system.  This leads
me to my first series of questions.

 o Preserving a LVM set residing on a software RAID mirror

This machine has LVM running on top of a two disk software RAID mirror.  The
filesystems affected are the user home directories and mail spools - i.e.
I don't want to trash this across system reloads.  Any special steps I need to
take?  Can I simply recreate the RAID set and the LVM bits on the new system
and it wil automagically detect the exsiting on-disk bits?

 o Distro recommendations

I have run RedHat for a while now and as a result have gotten comfortable with
it.  However, for what I want this machine to do RedHat has gotten rather
bloated and cumbersome.  I have experience with Mandrake as well, but I
consider that a step in the wrong direction for this machine.  This machine
acts a small server for myself and my wife.  I houses files which it exports
via NFS, Samba, and Netatalk.  It relays mail, serves mail via IMAP, and
fetches mail from a variety of sources (man I love fetchmail).  It also
acts as a login server and hosts a small number of web pages.  This machine
sits in a closet and does not have any sort of local console, i.e. I have no
need for X/KDE/GNOME/etc.

I am looking for a distro that does not require hundreds of 'packages' to be
installed and provides an easy and automatic methos of updating them to deal
with bugs, I have something like apt-get in mind here.

I have heard some good things about both Debian and Gentoo, and from what I
have heard these would be reasonable fits for what I need.  So,
very-opinionated reader, care to share some?

Thanks,

--
      . . . paul moore . . . www.alumni.engin.umich.edu/~pcmoore . . .