A call for recomendations and helpful some advice

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Tue Mar 25 21:00:43 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 18:56, Bill Mullen wrote:
> I realize that you've already written off Mandrake as one of your
> possible choices (though I can't really see why, as you can do just as
> minimal an install in expert mode with Mandrake as with any other major
> distro), but I thought I'd mention that the Mandrake tool "urpmi" does
> just what you're looking for - updating unlimited machines without cost
> or need to register with anyone - and is both easy to use and easy to
> automate. It has all but eliminated dependency hell for most Mandrakers.

If I was talking strictly about desktop systems, it might be an option.
However, mostly what I do is servers.  A graphical based tool (unless
urpmi has a text mode?) isn't terribly feasible.

I've never tried Mandrake as a server - how does it compare to RH or
Debian?  I have to say that the biggest thing keeping me on Debian for
servers (and some of my personal desktop systems) is apt.

As was mentioned, apt can run on Redhat though.  I may have to break
down and give it a try.

--
"Things are fine, the upcoming semester approaches like a brick wall
 and we're in a 1962 Corvair with no brakes."  - Paul Sand

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com