Automating Red Hat updates (was Re: A call for recomendations and helpful some advice)

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Tue Mar 25 21:14:12 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 20:54, Derek D. Martin wrote:
> So, don't use up2date.  If you have more than one system, it's
> certainly worth your bandwidth to simply mirror the Red Hat updates
> tree.  Make the result an NFS export, and write a simple shell script
> to update your systems.  If you don't want to get complicated, this
> script can be as simple as 'rpm -Fvh *.rpm' (in the appropriate
> directory, of course).

There's an assumption being made in this suggestion however.  That is
that I can safely nfs export to the systems in question.  Unfortunately
they are kind of scattered across the net, and having a system with an
open portmap and nfs server doesn't thrill me.

I suppose I could get drastic and set up tables and allow each of the
servers through...

A related question though.  Can I mount an nfs drive from behind a nat
box?

--
Don't look at me, I took the blue pill.

Cole Tuininga