Bit depths in X

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Wed Mar 26 22:05:27 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:58:53PM -0500, bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, at 4:33pm, mkomarinski at wayga.org wrote:
> > Any ideas, or is there a third option I've missed?
>
>   The VNC X display server, Xvnc, can easily run at any color depth you
> choose, because it is independent of any real display server (unlike Xnest,
> which is an X client as well).  That may help.

Figured I'd follow up with what I wound up doing.

VNC is nice in that I could have it start up a DTE different from the main
display.  But that was a bad thing, as now the users had to fight with
GNOME/KDE and FVWM.  The bigger problem is I had to show them to start
VNC, connect to the proper display, and then (important!) shut down
VNC when they were done with it.  These are postdocs who stay logged in
for weeks at a time.  I had visions of 150 VNC sessions running at once.

Starting X without a window manager was just out, as this app opens
a bunch of windows as part of its operation, so a window manager is
required.

What I wound up doing was just leave the system as I originally set it
up:  vt7 has the 16-bit display, and vt8 has the 8-bit display.  This
causes KDE or GNOME to cause trouble on itself, but only on vt8, where
you don't need a full environment to operate.  It's easy for them
to switch between the two, only two X servers are running at any one time,
and they can get their work done.

Thanks for the ideas anyway.

-Mark