AOL now rejecting mail from Comcast residential IPs.

Michael O'Donnell mod+gnhlug at std.com
Sat Mar 29 08:16:01 EST 2003

This matter is of interest to me for a number of reasons and
very timely; I still have a lot to learn about email setup/admin
stuff and I was just about to ditch std.com (because of their
dainbramaged anti-SPAM measures) and switch over to running my
own server on my ComCast-connected Linux box.

>This is an -incredibly- reasonable solution!  I'm psyched
>that AOL has finally made a good decision about it.  I run
>an smtp server at my place too, but it's trivial to hand
>the mail off to another server that'll accept it.

I assume that as a ComCast subscriber it'd be simplest for
me to just be handing off to the ComCast server for outbound
deliveries, yes?  Would that "hide" the terrible origins of
my email sufficiently to please AOL?  What are the gotchas
involved in doing that?  Is there any other reason for me to
worry about making this switchover.