AOL now rejecting mail from Comcast residential IPs.

Rob Lembree lembree at jumpshift.com
Sun Mar 30 13:22:30 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 12:26, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 12:38, Bruce Dawson wrote:
> > Quoting Ben Boulanger's email of Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:23:55 -0500 (EST):
> >
> > > If AOL says 'no
> > > direct mail from this IP Space' because there's a known issue with it, I
> > > think they're doing the right thing.  To ignore the problem only makes it
> > > worse.

> This is probably true. Most likely, there are underlying motives that
> are far less altruistic. However, their TOS *DOES* state that no servers
> are allowed. So, if someone is running a server in violation of their
> ISP's TOS, and someone like AOL wants to block it, then it is well
> withing their right. If you want to run servers, then switch to a
> service that allows it. Someone who is running servers on their
> connection will most likely use more bandwidth, and on a shared
> connection like cable, it will (in theory) have an impact on other
> users.

I don't think that they meant servers in terms of outgoing SMTP
though.  If you run SMTP so that you can send out mail, as far
as they should be concerned, it's not a server (it doesn't provide
services to anyone outside the network), any more than sharing
a printer between machines on a home network does.  They shouldn't
consider it a server unless it's servicing requests from the outside.

So I think that this is a whole separate issue.

--

Rob Lembree
29 Milk St.			            JumpShift, LLC