AOL now rejecting mail from Comcast residential IPs.

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Mar 31 11:56:09 EST 2003

In a message dated: 31 Mar 2003 09:41:04 EST
"Kenneth E. Lussier" said:

> So why shouldn't it exist?
>
>It shouldn't exist on the merit that the only mail servers that should
>exist on Comcast's network are those that Comcast runs. If the mail
>comes from a residential IP address, then it isn't one of Comcasts mail
>servers.

But I can write a <insert favorite language here> program to directly
connect to port 25 on any given system and speak SMTP, and
technically I am not running an SMTP server.  Actually, what I'm
doing, is running an SMTP *CLIENT* which is using the PROPER protocol
for SENDING E-MAIL.  Yet, by your argument, I should not have the
right to choose the client I wish and send this e-mail however the
fsck I want?  Sorry, as Derek stated, outgoing SMTP does not a server
make :)

>No, it isn't censorship in any way. They are not preventing you from
>doing anything. They are merely imposing rules on how it is done. Same
>as the government does with laws. The difference here is that you don't
>have to use the service if you don't like the rules.

But the rules do not state one single thing about how I have to send
e-mail.  There may be rules stating I can't run a private server, but
a private SMTP server is for INCOMING SMTP, not outgoing.  Outgoing
smtp is from a client, not a server, and there are no TOS statements
about which clients I can or cannot use.

>It shouldn't be up to you. It's *THEIR* service. They have the right to
>put any limits on it that they want. If you don't like the rules, then
>don't use the service.

But the point is that the DO NOT put any restrictions on traffic
eminating/originating *from* the residential connection, only connections
*destined to, but not originating from* said connection.

IOW, as long as the connection originates from my system, there is no
restriction, since originating/initiating connections are *clients*.
Incoming connections to a system, which are externally originated,
mena the destination is a server, and *this* is what is restricted
by the TOS, not the former.
--

Seeya,
Paul