AOL now rejecting mail from Comcast residential IPs.

Ken D'Ambrosio kena at well.com
Mon Mar 31 15:06:26 EST 2003

Thomas Charron said:

>   Actually, in some cases, depending on which company they came FROM,
> they
> are.  In some cases, they are blocking ANY port 25 traffic from leaving
> their  networks.  port 25 > /dev/null if not destined for their own
> servers..

I'm 99.9% certain you're right.  Our CEO has Comcast DSL, and I can state
authoritatively that it absolutely blocks his outbound port 25 from going
anywhere other than to Comcast IPs.  We got around it by using a
non-standard port for SMTP, and it works like a champ, so apparently they
only clamp down on specific IPs.  NOTE: the host we were attempting to
talk -to- is a host fully under our control, with no blocking whatsoever,
so it was definitely Comcast's side that was blocking outbound.

-Ken