SCO Unix Intellectual Property Pedigree Chart

Chris Brenton cbrenton at chrisbrenton.org
Thu May 1 11:20:31 EDT 2003

Jerry Feldman wrote:

> It seems that they have tagged the green bar as SCO Linux Pedigree.
> It would seem that one looking at this chart would infer that SCO had
> some stake in the development of Linux. While Caldera has been around
> for a while as a Linux distro, I am unaware that they contributed
> anything significant back to Linux

SCO purchase UNIX code from Novell back in 1995. They have been implying
that because of the purchase they now "own" Linux. They are even going
law suit happy including trying to hit up IBM for billions of dollars
because IBM is now supporting Linux. There are other suits and claims
pending as well.

One gets the impression that SCO has decided its easier to make money
with Linux by suing people rather than turning Caldera into a
distribution people will prefer to use.

Its because of these suits that many people have stopped using Caldera.

HTH,