Comcast changes naming convention

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Fri May 2 09:55:47 EDT 2003

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 09:44:26AM -0400, Jack Hodgson wrote:
> I'm no more than an enthusiastic amateur when it comes to network and
> system admin, but I just noticed something interesting.
>
> Sometime in the past few days Comcast has made two changes to my
> cable modem account settings.
>
> First, after nearly a year, I've been issued a new IP address. That's
> not all that remarkable, I've always known it could happen at any
> time. But...

It happens to me once every few months.  Doesn't matter to me.

> Second, they've changed a naming convention that has existed for at
> least a couple of years, and which could be useful.
>
> [...]
>
> Ah well.
>
> I suspect this is Comcast fixing a weakness in their system that made
> it easier for customers to setup dynamic DNS, and thus run evil,
> illegal servers.

Again, doesn't matter for the most part.  I use tzo.com that runs
a client on my server that keeps wayga.org pointing at my machine
no matter what IP address I get.  tzo is expensive ($50/yr), but
with some scripting and a friend with a nameserver, you can
do it yourself for free.

> Is it me, or do these Comcast folks have more tech smarts that the
> att/mediaone people?

I'm calling 'em MediAT&comcast.  Nothing like dealing with
three companies in five years.  It sure would be nice to have
some real competition....

-Mark