RH7.2 and GigE

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri May 2 15:50:07 EDT 2003

In a message dated: Fri, 02 May 2003 15:25:38 EDT
"Matthew J. Brodeur" said:

>   I think Broadcom is included, but I don't recall Intel's e1000 driver
>being included until later releases (7.3 maybe?).  It's definitely in the
>latest 7.3 errata kernel (2.4.18-27.7.x).

I know it's in 7.3, as that's what I'm running on one particular
system.  I just had someone tell me they were using 7.2 on identical
hardware for some performance testing, and that they were using GigE.

I just looked on the system and it was running at 100Mb/FD, and there
were no e1000 drivers loaded, and they were only connected at 100Mb
according to the switch.  The amusing thing is they thought they were
running at Gig, which means all their stats for GigE testing are only
accurate for 100Mb :)

>   Even if the stock 7.2 kernel has a driver I wouldn't use it.  Earlier
>versions of the Pro/1000 drivers had rather nasty issues.

Yeah, I know.  I just wanted to make sure I was right before I went
told them they needed to re-do a bunch of work :)

>   Either get a new driver from Intel, or update the kernel to a newer
>errata release.  I haven't touched my e1000s in months, but I've read that
>there have been great improvements.

They seem to work pretty good under 2.4.18 on 7.3.  I don't know if
2.4.20 has any improvements.

Thanks for the info!
--

Seeya,