DVI KVM switch

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Mon May 5 10:06:56 EDT 2003

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I've been using KVMs for several years. I used a Cybex at work, and I
> currently have a Linksys 4 port at home that I used for my desktop
> system, my Alpha and my laptop. I've never been much of a fan of Belkin.

I've got a Belkin that I use at home among three PCs, all running OSS:
Linux, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD. I've had no issues with it. It's a PS/2 VGA
model.

I've also used Raritan, and they work well, too. Although my co-worker
had problems getting X to work through it on his machine. Interestingly,
it was the same video card, motherboard, and OS, just a different monitor.

I know the question last time was about losing the mouse, but I'd like
to mention that I've noticed some of the KVMs do list a maximum
resolution for video.

On a related note, how do USB KVMs work? Meaning has anyone tried one
and do they have any comments. SUN is even shipping USB keyboards and
mice with their new workstations and servers. I guess they've grown
tired of ADB.