[OT] SGI Indgio2 console

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon May 5 10:24:18 EDT 2003

Jason Stephenson wrote:

> Tom Buskey wrote:
>
>> Older macintoshes had the round connectors too.  The pin out was
>> completely different.  You might be able to cut one up & rewire it.
>

> It's RS-432. (I'm not 100% that I got the number exactly right.) It's
> "superior" to RS-232, depending on the source, but it is more or less
> compatible with the right cable. What he wants is a RS-432 to RS-232
> null modem (aka printer) cable. Where to find such a beast, I have no
> idea.

The mac's serial ports are RS-432 also.  But the wiring is the same as
RS-232.  The only thing that really uses the RS-432 features is
localtalk. Everything else just uses it as an RS-232 port.

I always used a mac din-25pin cable, then a standard null modem.  An sgi
din-25pin cable should work just as well.