suggestions for CVS use

Erik Price eprice at ptc.com
Wed May 7 10:44:13 EDT 2003

Hi,

I use CVS for source code control for my projects, and in general I
really like it.  There's just one thing that really bothers me.  If you
wish to rename a file, or move a file to another directory, you have to
jump through hoops by basically creating a new file for it and
indicating that the old file is no longer in the project.  And it's even
worse for old directories (that are no longer in the project) because
they still get generated by a checkout, even if they're empty.  Unless
I'm doing something wrong.

The problem is when refactoring class names or refactoring classes from
one package to another.  Public classes need to be in a file of the same
name, and the Java package hierarchy is enforced at the filesystem level
  in this fashion.  I like this because it helps keep things clean, but
it seems CVS wasn't designed for this kind of flexibility.  Does anyone
have any tips in this regard?  Is this something that is taken into
account in Subversion (I think I remember Paul saying he uses Subversion).

Maybe I can ask my sysadmin to think about installing it, if Subversion
is really a lot nicer -- but I kind of doubt it because IIRC it'd
require changes to be made to the webserver.  It's a Gentoo box.

Thanks,

Erik