suggestions for CVS use

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed May 7 14:45:17 EDT 2003

>>>>> On Wed, 7 May 2003, "pll" == pll at lanminds.com wrote:

  pll> Not that I've heard of.  OSS development is inherently
  pll> different from the type of development which ClearCase solves
  pll> problems for.

  Kevin> How's that?

Disclaimer:  I'm not saying that CVS can not be used in enterprise
             development environments successfully, or in place of
             ClearCase.

ClearCase use assumes that centralized development with
high-speed access to the VOBS and Views, and this is a requirement if
you're using dynamic Views.

CVS assumes sporatic connections and extremely decentralized development,
and only requires network connectivity when accessing the repository.

  pll> ClearCase also requires NFS/SMB connected access, which is a
  pll> major pain IMO.

  Kevin> Is this true if you exclusively use snapshot views?

If you're using snapshot views exclusively, then no.  However, if
you're development environment is structured such that everyone uses
snapshot views, I'd argue that CVS would have been a much more
worthwhile investment of your money, since you aren't able to take
advantage of a lot of CC functionality.

Personally, I'm a little leary of snapshot views.  Granted, I have no
experience with them, since the last time I actively used CC, they
didn't exist.  However, they came to exist as a work-around to enable
CC to work in a windows environment where SMB connections would
sproratically reset or hang and cause data corruption.

Also, my understanding is that snapshot views are available only
under Windows.  Is this incorrect?
--

Seeya,
Paul