suggestions for CVS use

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri May 9 09:46:10 EDT 2003

In a message dated: Thu, 08 May 2003 12:46:40 EDT
Jason Stephenson said:

>Yipe! Sorry, Paul, you're getting this twice. I meant to send it to the
>list, too.
>
>pll at lanminds.com wrote:
>> Ayup!  A couple of jobs ago the group I supported
>> was doing 'main-line' development.  No private branches or anything.
>> They'd check out a view and keep files locked for months at a time.
>
>I work that way in CVS all the time, particularly when I worked on KDE.

I think there's a significant difference in this case.  In ClearCase,
this results in locking the files, which means no one else can touch
them for that time.  Imagine working on KDE and locking people all
over the world out of certain files for 3 months at a time?  Nothing
would ever get done!

>Conflicts were rare when I was helping out with KMail, but they did
>occur occasionally. Usually, a couple quick emails would get things
>resolved in an hour or two.

Conflicts can and do happen in ClearCase, if you use private views,
since each person gets their own copy of the tree.  But if everyone
is working out of the CC equivalent of HEAD, then you need file
locking (or at least and agreement that no one can touch those
files while they're checked out).

>Branches are your friends.

Yes they are :)

>I think I'm going to look into Subversion some more. I'm intrigued to
>know exactly what deficiencies of CVS the developers are hoping to fix.
>Most of the stuff I saw on a quick scan of the Subversion site had to do
>with performance.

Well, there's more to it that.  It handles the versioning of
directories, versioned meta-data, file/directory renaming, etc.
It's also being developed by the same folks who currently are the
primary maintainers of CVS: Karl Fogel et. al. at Tigris and Red-Bean.
--

Seeya,
Paul