Fun with NTP

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Mon May 12 15:10:50 EDT 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:55:11PM -0400, pll at lanminds.com wrote:

> In a message dated: Mon, 12 May 2003 14:31:16 EDT
> Mark Komarinski said:
>
> >Anyone else run into this and have some ideas?
>
> Use Debian, since those hosts seem to work just fine ;)

Sorry, I like my users. To be fair, the cluster they're using is Debian,
but they'd probably revolt if I put it on their desktop.

Actually, I found the solution to the problem, and it's a combination
of RH and NTP being really stupid.

NTP has almost no good documentation, or at least readable by humans.
There's a line in the config file for restricting hosts.  By default,
NTP turns everything off except localhost access.  Which is kinda dumb,
because it's not only remote machines that can connect to the local
NTP, but also what machines the local NTP can talk to.

RH, for their part, includes the line to point to the correct server,
but does not include the line to open the restriction.  This
appears to be fixed in RH 9.

Oh yeah, when you start NTP, you have to wait about 10 minutes before
trying ntptrace.  It takes that long for NTP to find the remote
server and connect.  Or something.

-Mark