detecting eth0

Karthik Vishwanath karthik at northstar.dartmouth.edu
Fri May 16 13:04:15 EDT 2003

Hello,

I recently acquired an xp laptop and wanted to connect it to my desktop
(which dual-boots win98/linux, RH 7.3) using a crossover cable. On the
windoze side I could manage this by setting up local (dummy) IP addresses
for either machine and ftp'ing between them.

In order to do something similar from the linux side, I was'nt sure about
how to determine if the correct driver for the eth0 interface was loaded
and the device functioning, even. Where does one check all the devices
that are available on the system: cat /proc/devices ? I can see the
message saying "Starting eth0 ... ok" during boot, and also find it in the
/var/log/messages. But trying to activate the eth0 interface using the
'redhat-config-network' tool fails.

What must I try to sort this out?

Thanks,

-K