Apache Logging Question...

Tilly, Lawrence Lawrence.Tilly at LibertyMutual.com
Tue May 20 10:47:26 EDT 2003

I have a question about a logging option in Apache and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

There is a %T flag for custom logging which writes the "time taken to serve the request (in seconds)".  However, I cannot find a definition of what is included in "serving the request".  I have been doing performance testing work for a couple years and I have seen this type of term used in a couple ways:
   *  Time from the server receiving the request  to returning an ack   (I doubt it's this)
   *  Time from the server receiving the request to when it sends back the first buffer of the response (this is the most common)
   *  Time from the server receiving the request to when it sends back the last buffer of the response  (not very common)

I have read thru at least a dozen pages I was pointed to by google, as well as on the apache and apacheweek sites, and am not finding a definition of exactly what the start / end points are of "serve the request".  If anyone knows (especially with a link to some documentation) I greatly appreciate it!

advTHANKSance!!!

-Lawrence