Bizarre bash problem

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri May 23 15:54:37 EDT 2003

Hi,

For some reason, 'which' is not working for me on a Solaris 8 box
running bash.  'whence' appears to not be a recognized command, and
I'm out of ways to figure out the path down which a program lives
(I need to do this in a shell script.)

When I type 'which bash' for example, I get know output.  I know bash
must exist, since I'm running it for my shell.  I know it lives in
/bin/bash, since ls tells me so, and file confirms it's a binary :)

locate is not installed on this box, and therefore is not an option
(since I don't "own" this box :(

Any ideas?  I know I must be forgetting something.

One thing I have definitely remembered is how nice working under
Linux really is! :)

Thanks,
--

Seeya,