rsync, passwords and getting my logs

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Tue May 27 13:53:05 EDT 2003

On 27 May 2003, at 1:37pm, greg at buzgate.org wrote:
> I figured the best way to get the logs would be to use rsync, since i
> would need to specify a password in the cron/shell script, and I know that
> rsync supports a password.

  Don't do that.  Instead, use rsync-over-SSH, and use SSH public keys to
avoid a password entirely.  For best results, use a dedicated account, and
restrict the commands that can be run in the SSH authorized_keys file.

  Yell if you need help with that.  :)

> So, I tried this command (n is just to do a test run):
> rsync -vn --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh
> JoeUser at buzgate.org:/usr/home/buzgate/www_logs/* /var/log/httpd

  From the rsync manpage:

       --password-file
              This  option  allows you to provide a password in a
              file for accessing a remote rsync server. Note that
              this  option  is only useful when accessing a rsync
              server using the built in transport, not when using
              a  remote shell as the transport.

  You are not using the built-in transport (as evidenced by the --rsh
command).

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>