Emacs question

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed May 28 12:39:27 EDT 2003

Hi,

I tend to use Emacs' 'abbrev-mode' quite frequently.  Often times,
I'll create an abbreviation and save it 'locally' to the current
major mode I'm in, since I don't really want abbrevs in text-mode to
auto-expand in perl-mode or apache-mode, etc.

However, I've also discovered that I need even more granularity in
modes like text-mode.  For example, when I'm at work, I have certain
abbrevs which only pertain to writing things work-related.  At home,
I often need to manually massage QIF files downloaded from my bank
before importing them into GnuCash.

So, what I'd like to do is create my own modes, which, for all
intents and purposes, derive from a master-mode like text-mode, but
match only the appropriate abbrevs section in my .abbrevs file.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,

--

Seeya,