System hanging at boot

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Fri May 30 18:14:33 EDT 2003

On 30 May 2003, at 6:06pm, cfarinella at appropriatesolutions.com wrote:
> As to how long I let the 'Freeing unused memory' sit there, at least 20
> minutes.  It's hung.

  Well, so much for that.

> How might I tell [if the system was hacked], and what can I do about it?

  That is a topic in and of itself, but before you can try any intrusion
detection methods, you'll still need a working system.

  I should have suggested this earlier [forehead slap]: Dig out your Red Hat
Linux install CDs, and try booting from the first disc.  Give "linux rescue"
at the SYSLINUX boot prompt.  If your hardware is good, that should get you
to a shell prompt where you can examine the system.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>