Calendaring (server side)?

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Tue Nov 4 10:44:38 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:20:27 -0500 (EST)
ken at flyingtoasters.net wrote:

> Hi, all.  It's come to my attention that the only real reason I can't just
> outright dump Outlook on my end-users' machines is because of calendaring.
>  Furthermore -- regardless of platform -- it would be super-duper handy to
> have a server-side scheduling/calendaring application so's I could (say)
> schedule conference rooms, see that "Bob" was in Atlanta on Tuesday, etc.
> A quick perusal of Freshmeat turns up several contenders...
>
> most of which stopped active development in 2000 or 2001.  A couple seem
> to be extant, but either in alpha, or with virtually no docs.
>
> So: I'm looking for something, server-side, that's RFC 2445 (iCal)
> compliant, that someone's actually -used-, preferably with multiple
> RFC-2445 clients (eg. Outlook, Mozilla).  OSS would be preferable, but I'm
> willing to pay if need be -- though I'd -vastly- prefer a Linux-based
> solution over a Windows-based one.

A lot of us can appreciate this quandary (i.e., believing in FOSS but working
for organizations which are enslaved to Exchange & Outlook Caledndar).

One project I've been watching is Chandler.  (Perhaps it's one of the alphas
you found.)  It's a credible effort, founded by Mitch Kapor, and aimed directly
at the needs which Outlook claims to have sewed up.  I know you're asking for
something you can use today, and it may not be there.  But some readers of
this list may be interested in keeping in touch with it:

http://osafoundation.org/

-Bill