X with ssh, (was Novell to acquire Suse)

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 18:51:13 EST 2003

It occurs to me that I've been sloppy (if not outright
incorrect) with my terminology so maybe (an attempt at)
some clarification is in order.

Let's call Dan's desktop machine (with the X server)
machineX - this is the machine where Dan wants to
initiate the SSH connection from and which has the
X display where he wants his app's GUI to appear.

And let's call the non-desktop machine (Dan's been
calling it the "server") that hasn't got (as much)
X installed on it machineS - this is the machine where
Dan wants his actual app binary to be executing while
it's drawing pictures on machineX's display.

Client/server references quickly get tangled here;
Dan wants to launch ssh on machineX where it will be
a client of the SSH server on machineS.  But once Dan
has logged in (via that SSH connection) to machineS
and started a session there, he'll launch his app,
which will then want to become a client of the X
server back on machineX.  So we're asking for trouble
if we simply try to refer to "the client machine"
or "the server machine" because both machines have
programs acting in one or the other of those roles.

It should be understood that when I'm talking about
/etc/ssh/sshd_config and /etc/default/ssh I mean
the instances of those files on machineS because
that's where the ssh server of interest is running.
Instances (if any) of those files on machineX are
irrelevant for the purposes of this discussion.

Conversely, since the behavior of the ssh client is
(largely) controlled by the files in Dan's ~/.ssh on
machineX, changes to those files on machineS will be
(largely) irrelevant.

So, more specifically, the files of interest mentioned
thus far are:

   machineX:~/.ssh/config

   machineS:/etc/ssh/sshd_config
   machineS:/etc/default/ssh